Smaller ST. Francois County Fair Logo

The Storied and Tenured History of the Fair Grounds

St. Francois Agricultural and Mechanical Association

The St. Francois Agricultural and Mechanical Association incorporated in January 1872. Among it’s earliest officers were J.C. Alexander, F.M. Carter, Reinhardt Lang, A.J. Leathers and Thomas H. Stamm. One of the first orders of business was to establish fairgrounds on a twenty-acre site west of the town of Farmington.

1908 Parade at the Fair Grounds

1908 parade at old fairgrounds

Old Fair Ground Horse Race

Old Fairgrounds, destroyed by the 1912 cyclone

Old newspaper article of the St. Francois County Fairgrounds

Construction soon Began

Construction soon began on a racetrack, amphitheater, pagoda, floral hall, and ladies’ rooms and the fairs became annual events. The original fair was a four-day event, which was predominantly devoted to horse racing. Other events included ladies’ equestrianship and showings of Jersey and short horn cattle, draft horses, and mules.

Early Marketing

Local merchants and businesses subsidized print of a forty-page booklet. Their advertisements throughout the program are a guide to the most prominent local merchants of the time

Going to the Fair